a temporary public sound installation
13, 3” x 3” x 2” boxes
sound chip, metal, plexiglas
Thirteen interactive audio boxes marked a trail along the former shoreline of Portland’s Back Cove, a tidal marsh. This former boundary between water and land was derived from the earliest reliable maps of the area, dating back to 1806. By pushing a small red button, viewers activated a twenty second sound recording of what would have been heard of indigenous wild life at the historic water’s edge. This trail led through tree-lined neighborhoods, barren warehouse districts, a subsidized low-income community, and passed near several city parks, all built on landfill over the past fifty years.